I had a great time presenting on Build Your Own Dashboards at the SQL Saturday #174 Charlotte BI Edition. Thank you to everyone who came to my session and participated in my talk.
Here is a link to the sample dashboard site I presented on:
Be advised that this site and the sample code is only optimized for IE 9. You need to provide CSS3 vendor specific entries for WebKit and Mozilla if you want this to work perfectly in Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.
Here are the slides and sample code:
Thanks again for the opportunity…
I had a request from a reader as to how they could post sample code in response to an article I had written. I thought this was an excellent question and it can be hard to find the right answer when all you want to do is post your question.
The following is a quick example of posting a code snippet for XAML which is actually XML. If you want to submit XAML in a post or comment then you must wrap it with the following tag:
It will then look like this once rendered:
<TextBox Text="Hello World" />
There are many other language targets. I use these common ones:
Refer to this link for other targets as well.
Hope that helps….
In doing some testing today, I came across a wierd scenario with using WCF RIA Services on top of the Entity Framework. I was testing a Site table that had the following data definition:
CREATE TABLE Site ( SiteIdent int identity NOT NULL , SiteKey varchar(4) primary key NOT NULL , MinimumPasswordLength int NOT NULL , RequirePasswordAuthentication bit NOT NULL )
When I tried to make a modification to an existing record, I received the message in the title of my post:
“Modifying a column with the Identity pattern is not supported.”
One thing to note, I saw several other posts stating that this works with Entity Framework outside of WCF RIA Services. I verified that the StoreGeneratedPattern was set to “Identity” but it did not help. I also saw an entry in the msdn forums talking about creating a custom attribute.
Because I have control of the database, I made the following change to the data model to correct the issue:
CREATE TABLE Site ( SiteIdent int identity primary key NOT NULL , SiteKey varchar(4) NOT NULL , MinimumPasswordLength int NOT NULL , RequirePasswordAuthentication bit NOT NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] GO CREATE UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_Site0] ON [dbo].[Site] ( [SiteKey] ASC ) ON [PRIMARY]
It is curious since I did not encounter this problem when I had previously used RIA Services on top of Linq2Sql. I am sure that there are several ways to resolve this issue but I wanted to show one way to getting past this issue.
Hope this helps….